Talent Strategy Fundamentals is a series of posts where we break down the elements of a winning talent strategy. We do this by breaking things down into their most basic parts. Other posts in the Talent Strategy Fundamentals series include:
Talent Strategy Fundamentals: Learning and Development
Talent Strategy Fundamentals: Employee Engagement
The fact that you're on this page says you care about helping people be their best. After all, that's what performance management is all about. Of course, not every organization is using a modern approach.
But everyone starts somewhere. Actually, maybe you've already started and you're looking for some advice on a specific area of performance management. Or maybe you want to learn more because your organization is thinking about adopting ongoing performance management practices.
We've broken performance management down into the different practices so you can quickly find the information you need most. These articles are full of expert information you can use to bolster and shape your talent strategy.
Whatever stage you're at, we've put together the elements of a great performance management program, along with blog posts you can share with managers and fellow HR pros to make things happen!
Conducting regular 1:1 meetings
- The Importance of 1:1 Meetings and Check-in Sessions
- A Manager's Guide to Successful 1:1 Meetings With Employees
- An Employee's Guide To Successful 1:1 Meetings With Your Manager
- 10 Insightful Questions To Work Into Your 1:1 Meetings
- Beating The 4 Reasons Your People Aren't Holding 1:1 Meetings
Getting performance appraisals right
- How To Prepare Managers for Performance Appraisal "Season"
- Six Helpful Tips On How To Conduct A Performance Review Meeting
- How To Write A Great Performance Review In 10 Steps
- 10 Ways HR Can Prepare For Annual Review Season
Giving and receiving feedback
- A How-to on Effective Feedback and Coaching Conversations
- Get Started Creating A Culture Of Feedback
- Teach Others To Deliver Feedback
- Practical Ways to Receive Feedback
- Creating A Culture Of Feedback For Your Team
Ditching the annual performance review
- Should You Get Rid of Performance Reviews?
- So You Want to Ditch Your Annual Performance Review?
- 3 Alternatives to the Annual Performance Review
- How To Use Mid-Year Appraisals and Mid-Year Check-Ins
- Four Ways To Make Sure Your Goals Still Make Sense
- Five Ways to Fail at Setting Goals
- Setting SMART Goals the Smart Way: Backwards
- Creating Behavior-Based Goals is Easier Than You Think
- How To Keep Your Talent Management and Business Goals Aligned
- BHAGs: How To Use Them In Employee Coaching
- How To Write A Great Self Appraisal In Six Steps
- Self Appraisal Examples to Use As Guidance or Inspiration
- The Problem With Employee Self Appraisals
We're so glad you stopped in to check out how we can help you with your talent strategy as you build and maintain your performance management program. But before you go, be sure to bookmark this page. We'll be adding useful content here regularly. Just consider it your one-stop shop for performance management expertise.
Is something missing that you need? Let us know in the comments!